A Supreme Proposal
Senator Arlen Specter has an interesting piece in this morning's Washington Post. The article can be read here (until it expires):
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/04/24/AR2006042401394_pf.html
Specter wants Supreme Court sessions to be televised. So do I. But, Congress can't really force them because--tada!--the SCOTUS has the last word in such matters. As long as SCOTUS doesn't want it, it's not going to happen. Nothing short of a constitutional amendment can force television on them.
So, here's my Supreme Proposal. Obviously, I don't have the funding to do this, but I can propose it. Take the transcripts of the court, hire bad actors, and reinact their proceedings, and televise it. Put it onto C-SPAN or something like it. If we can't get direct scrutiny, then we can at least get indirect scrutiny.
I'm a student of human nature. If there's anything that get someone's dander up it's the idea that somebody is out there doing a bad portrayal of them. Once SCOTUS sees itself being badly portrayed on television, they'll quickly agree to the real thing. Of this I'm at least 5/9 certain.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home